Friday, July 28, 2006

101 Treasure




While on my lunch break; a month and a half ago, i came across this very old looking mounted story board. The board had been placed in storage in our building from the main studio lot along with movie props and some office furniture. I was curious and decided to investigate the board more closely. Upon seeing in at a closer distance i immediately knew what was in front of me, an original, hand drawn storyboard from 101 Dalmatians! The board was probably done in the late 1950's and was an amazing thing to see and touche it up close.
I stood there thinking about Walt and a room full of guys (nine Old men) looking at this scene and working the magic. I imagined all the talent in the room at that one moment gazing at that which stood before me now, it was an unreal feeling.
Most of the board was intact and protected by a Plexiglas covering, except for a small bit at the bottom of the board, the drawings there had long been torn away.
I quickly realized that this artwork should be archived and restored for generations to learn from. I contacted a friend at the Animation Research library and told him of the find, he was very excited by my find, he informed me that this scene had never been documented anywhere!
About a week later after all of the red tape had been taken care of the board was on its way to the A.R.L. and a much needed restoration and documentation process.
The scene turned out to be the one where all the puppies are gathered around watching the hero dog on the T.V.

Mario

3 comments:

Taesoo Kim said...

I see you've been posting some stuff. That's good.
Anyways, that's crazy that this storyboard was just sitting around. Nice job. By the way, this is that guy 's blog. The guy who sculpted Bruce Lee, Tom Hanks, and Indiana. His name is Arnie Kim, and I believe he live's in Korea. Check out his site. http://blog.dreamwiz.com/gud2js/5066432

Mario said...

He Taesoo,
Ohmygod! That guuys site is amazing! Do you know if he is selling any of the Indiana Jones stuff? I see that he customized outfits aswell as sculpts. Let me know.

Mario

Taesoo Kim said...

Don't know. I know that Bruce Lee is coming out this fall. The rest (Tom Hanks and Indy), he might've just done it for the kicks it seems like. Since his blog is Korean and I read it and the impresion I'm gettin is that they are just like his personal artwork. but I bet he probably would love to see them become actual figures for people to buy. Let's just hope that someone from the studio sees it and feel that there's a market for it. You know 1/6 is somewhat of a special collectors market.